IBTTA elects six new directors including one no-toll-yet exec (CORRECTED)
Six new directors have been elected to the IBTTA board of directors, the Washington DC based international trade association for the toll business. They are:
- Klaus Schierhackl executive director of ASFiNAG the company which operates the large truck toll system of Austria under contract. He became president of the European toll industry association ASECAP in May 2011.
- Joseph (Joe) Waggoner executive director of the Tampa-Hillsborough County Expressway Authority (THEA) which recently fought off a takeover by Florida Turnpike. Before his move to western Florida he was the chief of planning and development for the Maryland Transportation (Toll) Authority (MdTA).
- Christian Barrientos CEO of the Sociedad Concesionaria Autopista Central SA, operator of the largest free-flow cashless turnpike in Chile. Christian educated for an MBA at the University of Southern California has worked in Argentina, Chicago and El Salvador in gas and electricity utilities.
- James Trogdon chief operating officer of the North Carolina Department of Transportation and a Brigadier General Trogdon in the North Carolina National Guard.
- Christopher Waszczuk administrator for the Bureau of Turnpikes within the New Hampshire Department of Transportation. He is a New Englander through and through, educated as an engineer in Massachusetts and a longtime resident of New Hampshire.
- Terry M. Brechtel executive director of the San Antonio TX Alamo Regional Mobility Authority, a toll authority unique in having zero toll collection costs, zero violations, no misreads, and no complaints about high tolls. They don't yet have any toll bridge, toll tunnel, toll road or turnpike, although they're trying hard with a 1604 Loop, a US281 pike and a Superstreet. Brechtel was previously city manager of San Antonio.
In a statement from IBTTA Frank McCartney the president of the association and executive director of the Delaware River Joint Toll Bridge Commission is quoted: "IBTTA’s new board members are the best of the best. They are smart, entrepreneurial, and committed to serving the public. We are very pleased and excited to welcome these individuals to help chart IBTTA’s course for the next several years."
No comment from the association on reports that Brechtel's position on the board is conditional on San Antonio getting some tolls going by the end of 2012. (THIS WAS INTENDED AS A JOKE, BUT FOR THOSE WHO DIDN'T GET IT: SUCH REPORTS WERE A TOTAL FABRICATION. NO SUCH CONDITIONS WERE PLACED OR EVEN CONTEMPLATED - editor)
Brechtel knows the place where tolls are the fiercest battle in Texas. As they say there: "Remember the Alamo." Untold still!
IBTTA has 20 directors on its board who serve staggered 4-year terms. The six new directors replace six vacancies (CORRECTION.)
The current directors whose terms expire soon are:
Term Ending 2011
Antonio Diez de Rivera executive director, ASETA, Spain
James Johnson executive director, Delaware River & Bay Authority, New Castle DE
David Moretti executive VP, MTA Bridges and Tunnels, New York
Term Ending 2012
Dan Castrigano chief engineer Ohio Turnpike Commission
Mike Heiligenstein, executive director Central Texas Regional Mobility Authority, Austin, TX
Peter Merfeld chief operations Maine Turnpike Authority
Neil Tolmie chief executive N3 Toll Concession (Pty) Ltd, Johannesburg South Africa
Moretti's term is likely to be extended, an IBTTA official tells us, so there will be two more vacancies. There will be a vote on nominations for the positions of Antonio Diez de Rivera and James Johnson at the annual business meeting of the annual meeting of IBTTA Sept 14 in Berlin. There is one vote per member agency of IBTTA and the election is by voice vote for nominations from a nominating committee.
COMMENT: a reader comments that like Alamo RMA TX, James Trogdon's NCDOT has no tollroad in operation. But they do at least have one under construction - editor. TOLLROADSnews 2011-07-05 CORRECTIONS 2011-07-06